Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Indiana Stone Quarry

My great grandfather founded a limestone company in southern Indiana. The business was passed down through the family but was shut down many years ago. However, we still hold the quarry land. These pictures are almost 20 years old, taken the last time I walked the property. I pulled them for the Photo Friday Challenge ~ Industrial. It gave me a lot of pleasure to revisit them. While I visited the quarry only a handfull of times, somehow they make me feel at home.


This is a tower attached to a crane that lifts the stone blocks out of the ground.




Gears that were part of the crane drive mechanism




The old swimmin' hole. Locals came here to swim. My dad grew up swimming in the quarry holes...but I never did.




Some unknown piece of a decaying crane.


I have a couple more photos from this excursion that I plan to post...next time!

This entry has 2 comments:

Do you have any idea how talented you are? These are fantastic. Capturing the beauty in industrial settings is a real challenge, and all I can say is WOW!Comment from sistercdr - 2/28/04 6:29 AM
When you said photoblog you really meant it didn't you. Congrats Katda...excuse me, I mean MsKatdaBrat. Bravo for a job well done.~RC~Comment from
queenz43 - 2/27/04 9:45 PM

1 Comments:

Blogger V said...

Welcome, kat!!
V

1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home